Wednesday, March 13, 2013

S.E.C.R.E.T by L.Marie Adeline



BOOK name : S.E.C.R.E.T 
Author : L.Marie Adeline 
Genre : Erotica 
Publisher : Broadway books (Random House)
My rating : 3/5 
Source : Publisher 

Synopsis from Goodreads 
Cassie Robichaud’s life is filled with regret and loneliness after the sudden death of her husband. She waits tables at the rundown Café Rose in New Orleans, and every night she heads home to her solitary one-bedroom apartment. But when she discovers a notebook left behind by a mysterious woman at the café, Cassie’s world is forever changed. The notebook’s stunningly explicit confessions shock and fascinate Cassie, and eventually lead her to S∙E∙C∙R∙E∙T, an underground society dedicated to helping women realize their wildest, most intimate sexual fantasies. Cassie soon immerses herself in an electrifying journey through a series of ten rapturous fantasies with gorgeous men who awaken and satisfy her like never before. As she is set free from her inhibitions, she discovers a new confidence that transforms her, giving her the courage to live passionately. Equal parts enticing, liberating and emotionally powerful, S∙E∙C∙R∙E∙T is a world where fantasy becomes reality.(less)
What I thought about the book 
This is not a genre I normally read , which is probably why I didn't like the book too much .But that's really not the book's fault.I can totally see erotica fans lapping this book up.The ending was unexpected (possibly the only unexpected thing in the entire book). Maybe the book deserves a 3.5, but I really didn't emphathise with Cassie(the protagonist) at any point , and often found her a tad whiney. Considering the fact that life or circumstances have not been very kind to her, such low self-esteem is understandable. I found myself skipping though the fantasies impatiently as I found them rather boring and repetitive.The premise of a mousy under- confident woman seeking sexual emancipation (leading to increase in her confidence levels) is rather interesting, but I suspect that the book didn't do justice to the premise.I once read an Irving Wallace based on this premise and remember quite liking it. That was more than a decade back and I have no clue If I'd like it if i read it now. I am just wondering now whether I'd like  50 shades of grey. 
Overall , an ok book. If you love erotica you might want to pick this book up. If like me , you want to just find out what this genre is all about, I suggest you give this book a miss. 
Thanks to Random house for sending me this book.  

2 comments:

  1. Bhargavi I haven't yet ventured to read this genre properly.Some books here and there over the years. But I have been told that 50 shades is erotica so I have read the baap of the genre :D and pretty much fell short of throwing the book at the wall! Read at your own risk :) Lovely to see you reviewing again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shweta.. ha ha@ baap of erotica! .. I am really curious and will read it just to find out what its all about ;-).. Good to be back !

    ReplyDelete